Art Knapp’s was started in the late 1950’s as a plant stand selling out of the backs of pick-up trucks in various parking
lots in the lower mainland. It has since grown to 15 retail nurseries in British Columbia.
Henry King, owner and operator of the Penticton location, immigrated to Canada in 1976 after finishing his studies in General
Agriculture in Britain. He worked on a grain farm in southern Alberta until 1981 when he purchased Art Knapp’s Penticton.
At that time our Art Knapp’s store was located on Riverside Drive and mainly sold plants, fertilizer, tools and pesticides.
We did not have a large flower shop or selection of giftware that our customers know today.
We moved to our present location on Duncan Avenue in the fall of 1989. This location expanded the retail sales and nursery space and
included extensive display gardens. In subsequent years we have also expanded our shade house area twice, built our perennial pavilion,
expanded the parking lot twice and have added a large pond by the front entry in addition to creating more display gardens.
In 2006, the latest addition came when we opened its growing facility in Trout Creek. This allows us to locally produce many of
its own annuals, perennials, shrubs, roses and trees, adding variety and value to our plant selection in Penticton.
Today at Art Knapp’s Plantland and Flower Shop we employ 20 full-time staff year round and an additional 24 staff seasonally
from the Penticton area.